Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ukranian Borscht

I used to walk in after school, smelling fresh dill.
There it was, a fresh bowl of Borscht.
So this weekend Levi and I pulled the vegetables out of our
Veggie Tale Garden.
Then he practiced saying BORSCHT!

Take a walk to your garden
Find potatoes, carrots and beets.

Add a few of the other things like cabbage, dill and tomatoes.

Meanwhile my herb garden is bursting, which gave me a few extra flavors.


VIOLA! Wash, peel, and chop and you have a tasty soup.

I searched the Menno blog for borscht, I noticed Lovella's and Trish's
but I could not find a true borscht like my Mother's.
You need to have beets.
So here goes.....

Ukrainian Borscht
(Mennonite Treasury pg.50)
I doubled the whole recipe.

4 cups soup stock ( I used beef soup broth)
2 Cups beets
1/2 cups carrots diced.
1 Cup Cabbage shredded
1 Cup potatoes diced
1 Cup tomato juice
1 medium onion, cut fine.
Salt to taste
3 Bay leaves
Fresh handful of dill
Parsley

Put all vegetables in soup stock and simmer gently until well done.
I like making my soup thick rather than thin.
So I add more vegetables. (like I double them)
Add a bit of sour cream.
Yummy!

Oh, by the way did any of you ever love
dipping your bread into the soup?
Only at home, never at company's.