Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Favorite Pie Crust


Well here it is!
How many of you have this cookbook in your kitchens?
Mine is so dirty, that it's an embarrassment to post,
but non the less, it works well and it's fed many crowds.
My book's coyrighted in December 1962.
It's printed by Derksen printers from Steinbach, Manitoba.

I love the Pie Crust on page 99.
As you can see it's the most used and tattered page.
It's almost too dirty to touch.

Pie Crust
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1lb. lard or shortening (I use White Crisco)
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 eggs.

Sift dry ingredients and work in lard.
Beat eggs in cup, add vinegar and fill cup with cold water.
Mix well.
Remember you don't want to over beat this dough!
Keeps will in refrigerator.
The pastry is enough for about 3-4 /10inch pies,
depending on how thick you make the crust.
I prefer more crust than real thin.
The tender crust is the substance that makes the pie.

Pie Filling
I use the recipe from Betty Crockers Book.
10 - inch filling
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash salt
8 Cups thinly sliced pared tart apples
3 Tbsp. butter

First of all, don't go and look for your old re-cycled apples.
Keep those for applesauce.
I try to find the most crisp apples.
(Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Jonagolds, Spartans)
Anyways I make my apple pies in the summer and fall,
and berry pies with frozen fruit in the winter.

Heat oven to 425Degrees, Prepare Pastry
Stir together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt;
Mix with apples.
Turn into pastry-lined pie pan;
dot with butter.
Cover with top crust which has slits in it.
seal and flute.
I don't cover the edges with alum foil as it suggests,
to prevent it from browning.
I bake it at 425 for 15 minutes and then reduce
to 350 for the next 45 minutes.



Apple Pie is a favorite at our home any time.
Add ice-cream and that becomes our breakfast on Sunday mornings.
Somebody's always snitching pieces here and there.
Pies have replaced Birthday cakes in our home.
Somehow I never exceeded at baking cakes,
so I resorted to making pies.
Strawberry, Banana Cream, Cherry, Lemon Meringue.
Blackberry is also a winner.

I will post the filling at a later date.

Pies are a standard for me to bring to any Special occasion.
I think they would pass the test of the
Chilliwack Airport Pies.


Marg