Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Spagetti Sauce


This has been another family favorite.
At the end of summer my friendly neighbor lady, Kathleen
who owns a green house across the street from me,
brings me her left over peppers and tomatoes.
What a treat!
Any ways I want to share with you one of my favorite Spaghetti Sauces from one of our own authors, Bev K.
It's in the green "Greendale Cookbook" on pg. 45


1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion
1 C. chopped celery
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 quart canned tomatoes undrained. ( I use fresh tomatoes, skin them, chop them and they are the best.)
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 can mushrooms
1/2 C. ketchup
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. sugar
11/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 - 1/2 Cup grated fresh parmesan cheese.

Brown ground beef, seasoning slighlty with salt and pepper. Drain.
Place all ingredients except cheese in large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Turn heat to medium and cook until sauce is thick - about 11/2 hours - 2 hours.
Serve over spaghetti.
I add fresh cheese on their dinner plates.

This sauce freezes well. I often double it and freeze half.

Add the ground beef to the mixture, and let cook for 11/2 - 2 hours.


As you can see, I store the sauce in miniature Ziploc containers for those young adults in my life who don't prioritize cooking. It's the best sauce ever and it's so good with fresh vegetables.
I've been waiting for Bev to post this, but I just made it this week, once again.