Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tee Gebaeck ~ Christmas


Some of you may recognize this German Recipe.
This recipe could also be referred to as Linzer Cookies.
These cookies were part of a Christmas exchange, years ago from my Tanta Gertraut.
My husband dived in for this gift and he finally won the gift exchange with a happy smile on his face. My aunt passed this recipe down to my SIL, Trudy and she has taken the time to walk me through the steps.

He has begged me for years to get this recipe...
I now have the recipe, the utensils, and actually made them last night.
Guess who had to come and help put the jam between the layers?

2 3/4 C. flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
3/4 C. sugar

Sift these three ingredients.

1 Cup cold butter
2 Eggs
1 tsp.Vanilla

Make a whole in the middle of your bowl and slowly shred 1 Cup of cold Butter, adding the eggs and vanilla. Knead the flour and ingredients till you have a smooth dough.

Divide into two batches. I put the other batch in the fridge while I cut all the bottoms.
It's important to keep the dough chilled as it works much better.
Roll out the dough very thin, less than 1/4 inch. Keep your counter floured so they don't stick.
Use the round base cutter. I made mine a bit too thick, so I tried again....
Bake in the oven at 375 between 4-5 minutes.

Then take the other batch and use your favorite cutter (Linz cutter with an insert) and make all the tops. I think you can buy those Linz cutters at a Delicatessen
Again, bake for 4-5 minutes.

When they are all baked, you can use your favorite jam.
I didn't have home made jam, but Judy was generous enough to loan me some raspberry jam.
Spread about one teaspoon of jam on each bottom.
Place tops over bottoms to create the sandwich effect.

When they are completed, freeze them and just before serving, dust them with a bit of powdered sugar. They taste the best straight out of the freezer.

Yes, they take time but they are worth it.