Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mixed Greens ~ Steff

It's been one more hot day in the Fraser Valley. Record breaking temperatures.
The only thing that I can think of making is a fresh salad with all our garden vegetables.
This has been one of my favorite's this summer. It's simple, quick and has a kick to it and will be one of the first salads on the guys list. They all love bacon.
This comes from the kitchen of Steff, a younger friend of mine who's always trying something new. If I need a quick appetizer, I can count on her and now I have a good collection of recipes/appetizers on hand.

Mixed Greens
  • 4 Cups Romaine lettuce
  • 4 Cups Baby Spinach
  • 2 Peppers red/green/yellow/orange
  • 1 pkg Bacon (fried & cut up) ( Often, I make this ahead of time. I still prefer the freshly fried bacon, as opposed to the crumbled bag bacon)
  • 1 Cup Feta Cheese
  • 1/2 Cup pumpkin seeds

Prepare the lettuces together in a bowl and add the remaining ingredient on top.
Toss the last two ingredients together and toss on top just before serving.
I pour the dressing over and then mix it up slightly.
I love the colorful display, so I don't mix to much, rather let it soak through the leaves.

Dressing
  • 9Tbsp. Virgin Oil (1/2 Cup)
  • 4 fresh garlic cloves
  • 7 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • salt/pepper to taste
Mix together and pour just before serving.

Make it ahead of time and take it along to the beach.