Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leafy Lettuce Salad


Leafy Lettuce Salad

I remember this salad, as a small girl growing up.
My mother lived off a mere $50 a month budget for groceries.
She needed to feed a family of 7 plus all the hired hands.
She had a gift of hospitality, and knew how to make her pennies stretch.

Actually, she always asked God how she could make her budget last....

She worked hard and always had a garden and since I'm not working out of the home,
I've made every effort to grow a garden again. I love sharing this with the grand kids.
We've made some raised garden beds this year, which takes away from all that back braking work.
This week I called my sister to see what Mom's secret recipe contained.

Leafy Lettuce Salad

  • 8 cups of Leafy garden lettuce.
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 vinegar
Blend the sugar and cream together and then add the vinegar.
Pour over your leafy lettuce.
Yum!!!
Do any of you remember this lettuce salad?

Add some freshly fried potatoes.
We have been enjoying those cooked first baby potatoes.
If there are leftovers, you make fried potatoes.
My mom always made those. Nothing was ever wasted.
Cut your potatoes up fine,
Add some butter (1/4 C.) into a frying pan and turn the element on to High.
Don't run away!!!
Fry these potatoes quickly and let them get crisp.
Add a bit of salt & pepper and a fresh tomato and away you go.
Simple, yet nutritious for this time of year.


Check out your local markets and see if you can't bring home that old fashioned cooking.