Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taco Dip

Sunday is a day we love to get together as a family. One never knows how many will be home, so generally I make a large meal so we can have left overs.
This week I have chosen a family favorite that I collected years ago from a good friend, Hilda who is always fixing a large meal for her family and grandchildren. She has used this as a staple for years, especially on Sunday's as it is easy to prepare in advance and one is not scurrying in the kitchen. Thank you Hilda. I love this recipe and it's so easy to freeze and take on a family ski vacation or camping trip. I can guarantee there will not be many left overs.


Taco Dip
  • 2 lbs. hamburger - browned and drained
  • 1 Cup Salsa
  • 1/2 C. taco seasoning
  • 1 C. sour cream
  • 1 or 2 tomatoes chopped up
  • 1 or 2 onion greens chopped
  • 1 C grated cheddar cheese
Method
  1. Brown hamburger and drain.
  2. Add Salsa and taco seasoning.
  3. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
  4. Scoop mixture into casserole bowl.
  5. Spread sour cream over meat mixture.
  6. Add chopped tomatoes and green onions
  7. Then sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

I added the recipe of Judy's Riverwalk Guacamole as a complimentary side dish. Yummy!
Don't forget to add a large bowl of tacos. I usually dish a scoop of sauce in their dishes while they smother the sauce with the nacho chips.
Often I will add a fresh salad, but today I added a loaf of fresh bread with peanut butter and honey (for the little man) and a fresh fruit platter.
At the end of the meal my eldest son, leaned over and said, "Mom, you know that this is my favorite meal." Unfortunately today there were no leftovers.
I was hoping to stay out of the kitchen this week, and enjoy gardening outdoors instead...