Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hazelnut Roll ~ Christmas



Here is just a tiny touch of what you will see in our home on Christmas Eve.
The Hazelnut Roll has been a favorite in our home since 1980.
It came from a long time acquaintance who could not eat flour.
So she shared this dessert with us and it has been
voted a keeper in our home for many years.
It does take some time and patience,
therefore when I set out do this task,
I make sure I have a morning free and I always make two rolls.
Do not try to baby sit in between....
Don't double them.
I make them individually.

Here goes.



Hazel Nut Roll

1 1/4C. ground hazelnuts
6 eggs
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
11/2 C Whip Cream
1/4 C. sifted icing sugar - (to be drizzled on damp towel)
Nutella Spread

Grease 15x10 cookie sheet (parchment paper) I can't live without Parchment paper.
Heat oven to 350'
  1. Separate eggs & whites
  2. Mix sugar, & yolks at high speed for 5 min. ( I use my Bosch machine.)
  3. Beat in extracts. Beat one more minute.
  4. In separate bowl add hazelnut flour, baking powder, and salt - mix well with fork.
  5. Beat egg whites till stiff, but not dry.
  6. Add flour mixture (#4) to sugar mixture (#2) Beat for 2 more minutes.
  7. Fold egg whites into cake mixture. (#6)
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes. (This year I baked it for the full 25 minutes and it came off the towel much easier. If it's not baked long enough, it tends to stick to the towel. YIKES!
  9. Flip cake onto damp cold tea towel ( I double it) Sprinkle the towel with icing sugar so that the batter does not stick.
  10. Roll up for 15-30 minutes.
  11. Unroll and assemble.
  12. One layer of Nutella/nougat spread.
  13. Then add a layer of whip cream. Whip it so that's it's stiff, otherwise it's too hard to roll up.
  14. Roll up the cake once more and garnish it with more whip cream and hazelnuts.
  15. Then I cut trim off the edges and that's for the man of the house with a fresh cup of coffee.
  16. Stick it into the freezer, and serve whenever. We eat it cold, as it's so delicious.
  17. I freeze it first on a cookie sheet and make sure it's frozen hard several hours, and then it's easy to wrap with saran wrap and cover it in a plastic bag.
Have fun and enjoy the treat!
If you can't figure it out, stop by and let's enjoy a piece together.