Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Florence's Carrot Cake

I received this recipe from a neighbor of mine many years ago. I've dug it up again and added a bit of fresh zucchini and there's just no other carrot cake like this. As you all know there are many variations of Carrot Cake. This one has no pineapple, no coconut, but stacks of almonds. It's easy to make and tastes better with age. I love to freeze this cake.

Florence's Carrot Cake
  • Grate 3 cups of raw carrots, set aside.
  • 2 C. white sugar
  • 11/4 salad oil
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 C white flour
  • 11/2 C. chopped almonds and walnuts
Follow normal cake making directions.
  1. Mix sugar, oil, and add the dry ingredients. Slowly add all the eggs and flour, and don't forget the yummy almonds. I actually don't use any walnuts. I prefer almonds.
  2. Now add the carrots to the batter.
  3. Bake in a well greased 9x13 pan at 350' for 45 minutes.

Frosting
  • 1/4 C. margarine
  • 1C powdered icing sugar
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
Melt margarine, add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Add powdered sugar and spread on cake when cool. Again, I sprinkle more chopped almonds on top.

When it is completely cooled, I cut it up into sections with saran wrap and stick it in my freezer.
But one other option is to phone a bunch of friends, brew a fresh pot of coffee and have a sampling of this terrific cake. Mine is all set to go along on my camping trip this week.
It's about those yummy almonds. What's camping with out a fresh piece of cake and freshly brewed coffee over the fire pit.