Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Corn Chowder Soup

It's the time of year where we are known far and wide for our high quality Chilliwack Corn.
Every fall I can't wait to dig in and pull the last of the fresh potatoes, carrots, onions and of course fresh corn. This year is been extra special, as we have our own fresh corn.
Corn Chowder Soup has been a favorite for years. It brings back memories to many ski vacations.
I got this from a cookbook called, "from the kitchens of Eden", where a strong friendship has tied us together since 1984.

I will give you the original recipe but let you know how I change it up by adding a squiggly line.

Ingredients
  • 2 tins creamed corn ~ I use fresh corn from about 4 large cobs.
  • 2 tins cream of celery soup
  • 2 tins cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 green pepper
  • 2 C. cooked potatoes ~ I add a few carrots and celery stalks.
  • 1 large tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 pound bacon ~ I use Mennonite Farmer Sausage from Rempel's
  • 2 quarts milk
  • You need to add pepper and salt to taste.
While I cook my potatoes, I throw in a few carrots and celery. (Drain water) Meanwhile, I saute oinions, green pepper and the sausage which has been cut into bite-size pieces.
Place all ingredients into large soup pan and heat slowly as milk tends to burn on quickly.

Cut, Chop and Saute'

You can almost taste this. Imagine the aroma in your kitchen.
Hope you can all get out there and find some fresh Chilliwack Corn.
I freeze this soup. No soup tastes as good as fresh, but when one does not have the fresh produce in winter, this is second best.